Return to Headlines

New State Legislation, AB 104: Addressing Student Retention, Grade Changes, and Graduation Requirements

On August 2, 2021, parents and guardians of LVJUSD families received the following information via email regarding AB 104: 

Governor Newsom recently signed State Assembly Bill (AB) 104 into law, which provides options for students and parents and guardians to address a variety of learning recovery needs. The specific details pertaining to this new law are described below.

Student Retention for 2021-2022
If your student was in grades K-11 for 2020-21 school year and they received deficient grades (D or F) for at least half of their coursework, you may provide a written request for a meeting to discuss student retention for the 2021-22 school year. 

Consultation meetings will include a parent or guardian, student, administrator and teacher to discuss learning recovery options, and review research regarding retention as well as data regarding student progress. It is important to note that our district has the final decision as to whether retention is in the pupil’s best interest, academically and socially.

If you are interested in a discussion regarding retention, please notify the principal of the school your student attended for the 2020-21 school year in writing to request a consultation meeting.

Opportunity to Change Grades to Pass or No Pass
Students who attended high school during the 2020-21 school year, and graduated (or will graduate) high school in the years 2021-2024, may request to have letter grades changed to Pass/ No Pass for any classes taken during the 2020-21 school year. 

A list of postsecondary institutions that will accept, for admission purposes, a transcript with a Pass/No Pass grade instead of a letter grade in the State of California can be found on the California Department of Education website. Some higher education institutions, including those from other states, may not accept Pass/No Pass grades, therefore we encourage you to contact the admissions office of colleges or universities your student may be interested in applying to prior to requesting grade changes.

If you are interested in requesting a grade change, please submit the attached form electronically to Darrel Avilla, Director of Student Services at, or in person to our District Office located at 685 East Jack London Blvd., no later than Tuesday, August 17, 2021. Students have 15 calendar days following this official posting and notice to make any grade change requests.

Graduation Requirements
Students enrolled in their third or fourth year of high school during the 2020-21 school year, and who are not on track to graduate in four years, will be provided the opportunity to complete the State graduation requirements to graduate. Options can include, but are not limited to, a fifth year of instruction or credit recovery.

If you have any questions, please contact your student’s school principal or Darrel Avilla, Director of Student Services, at 925-606-3206, for more information.