2019 Science Odyssey Award Winners
Best of Show: Engineering
Grades 3 – 5: How Can You Make an LED Traffic Glove to Keep People Safe During Drop Off?
Nolan McClung, Altamont Creek Elementary, grade 4; Teacher – Fenna Gatty
Grades 6 – 8: Automatic Pet Feeder.
Kali Spelts and Lily Anne Hurley, East Avenue Middle School, grade 8; Teacher – Gwendolyn Olness
Grades 9 – 12: Testing 3D Printed Mechanical Logic Gates.
Abby Fraser and Juan Vega, GHS and LHS; Teachers - Elizabeth Lopez (GHS) and Steven Giles (LHS)
Best of Show: Science
Grades 1 – 3: Smiled Silly.
Sarina Battisti, Croce Elementary, grade 3; Teacher - Tina Rocha
Grades 3 – 5: Does Putting Weights Help a Paper Airplane go Further?
Joseph Eng, Altamont Creek, grade 4; Teacher - Fenna Gatty
Grades 6 – 8: How Much Radiation Do Cell Phones Emit?
Lila Kotzbauer, Christensen Midde, grade 6; Teacher – Drew Kirian
Grades 9 – 12 – Which Natural Antibacterial Kills More Germs?
Lara Wiedemeier, Livermore High; Teacher – Megan Faliero
Best of Show: Math/Data Analysis
Who We Are, What We See: How Images Affect our Emotions
Margot Carleton, Vineyard School, grade 12; Teacher – Gretchen Reynolds
Special Awards – Art and Photography
Top Awards for Photography:
Winners were chosen by members of the Livermore Arts Commission.
- TK – K (Tie): Wyatt Wood (Jackson, K) and Jude Mitsumata (Lawrence, TK)
- 1 – 3 (Tie): Arjun Gowardhan (Altamont 1st grade) and Kaushik Venkatanarayanan (Joe Michell, 1st grade)
- Grade 4 – 5: Lauren Maryman (Joe Michell, 5th grade)
- Grade 6 – 8 (Tie): Cat Tovera (Junction 7th grade), Ramon Salcido (Junction, 6th grade)
- Grade 9 – 12: Sanjana Bhanvadia, Kylie Peters (Granada High, both grade 11)
Top Awards for Art:
Winners were selected by a graphic artist with no affiliation to LVJUSD.
- Grades K – 2: Kaushik Venkatanarayanan (Joe Michell, 1st grade)
- Grades 3 – 5: Brooklyn Koski (Junction, 3rd grade)
- Grades 6 - 8: Adrian Cuevas Gomez (Junction, 7th grade) and Jaiden Hauge (Mendenhall Middle, 6th grade)
- High school: Aditi Damle (GHS, 10th grade) and Fiona Smith-Calonica (Middle College, 11th grade)
- T-shirt design by Conor Smith Calonica, Junction School
Special Awards - Science and Engineering Projects
Livermore Water Resources Division "One Water" Award Winners
Thank you to Livermore’s Water Resources Division for again sponsoring a special award for projects related to water quality.
- Best of Show Award for Water Quality Projects: Sfurti Gaudani (LHS); Project – The Effect of Acid Rain on Crops
- First Place Award: Charlotte Folette (Christensen Middle, 7th grade); Project – Water Filters
- Second Place Awards:
- Vishal Venkatesh (GHS); Project – Using a Banana Peel-Based Filter to Extract Heavy Metals from Water.
- Ariel van Buuren, Giulia Cuppoletti, Nicole Buskard (LHS); Project - Here Comes the Sun.
- Carina Leinfellner, Meenakshi Mynampati, Shrutika Damle (GHS); Project - Portable Water Filter.
- Darshini Binduraj (Christensen Middle, 6th grade); Project – Water Purification Through Filtration and Boiling.
- Third Place Awards:
- John Manrique, Evin Rhee, Viviana Valenton (LHS); Project - Reusing Grey Water to Water Plants.
- Ava May, Chloe Turner (LHS); Project - Fertilizer Replacement
- Pacicia Chellappan (LHS); Project – Is Your Water Safe?
- Honorable Mention Award: Minh-Ky Kawamura (Smith Elementary, 2nd grade); Project – Rainwater vs. Tapwater
Special Award for a Robotics Project
New special award this year to recognize work in robotics. Award presented by Tom Manger from Robot Garden.
- Gwenyth Finkbeiner, Jason Leveque-Rovasio, and Armando Garcia (LHS); Teacher - Karen Fletcher; Project - All-Terrain rover traversing rough terrain.